About the Inn
Blackberry Inn Bed & Breakfast
The Blackberry Inn is beautiful, in-town Victorian bed and breakfast located in the heart of Camden, Maine. Built in 1849, this classic, Italianate style “Painted Lady” is set on nearly an acre of land with an extensive perennial and herb garden and within easy walking distance to the village restaurants, shops, galleries and the schooner filled harbor.
The inn itself also has an impressive history. The original property was built in 1849 as a private home by Henry Knight, the first president of the Camden National Bank and one of the founders of the Knox Woolen Mill. The home was later inherited by his daughter, Elizabeth March Knight, Camden High School principal, who influenced by her European travels, further embellished the home with its current-day, beautifully etched tin ceilings and elaborate plaster moldings. She was married to prominent Camden attorney, Job Herrick Montgomery. NOTE: The Salon is actually the original bedroom of Mr. Knight and Lizzy's Room was the daughter's room.
In 1957, the property was purchased by Portland public relations firm partners, Janet Hutchinson and Emeline Paige. Together they ran it as a bed and breakfast and art gallery called the Broadlawn Inn and Art Gallery. The PR duo made a name for both themselves and the inn when they conducted the public relations campaign for the 1957 premiere of “Peyton Place,” a major film, shot in Camden, starring film greats, Lana Turner and Hope Lange and Westside Story’s Russ Tamblin. The film adaptation was based on the best-seller novel about the more sordid side of life in a seemingly, sleepy small New England town. The inn also had the privilege of hosting the film’s cast party.
Although not a member of the cast, Hollywood screen star legend, Bette Davis was invited and also attended the event. Davis, a family friend of Hutchison, later became a frequent guest at the inn. When staying at the inn, she had a favorite room. This room has since been named “Bette Davis” in her honor. The inn was sold in 1969 and returned to private ownership.
In 1986, the Inn was purchased by a local Camden area couple. The inn, while under the ownership, was featured as the only Maine property in the book, The Daughters of Painted Ladies: America’s Resplendent Victorians.
In 1998, Jim and Cyndi Ostrowski, purchased the inn and in 2003, purchased the property next door and renamed the two combined, Inns at Blackberry Common. During their 20 year stint as innkeepers, the couple has truly set the bar with regards to gracious hospitality and commitment to quality.
The inn has welcomed its new keepers, Bob and Cat Hobson, with open arms. Bob, a native of England and Catherine, a Texas native, will work to keep this stately Victorian lady alive, healthy and happy and her guests comfortable and well cared for.
We welcome you and hope you find this grand home as magical as we do.